Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Country Music 1/2 Marathon

Well Folks ... I did it. I ran and more importantly finished The Nashville Rock'n'Roll Country Music 1/2 Marathon. All 13.1 miles!!!! After a 8 hour car-ride up there (navigating around the I-40 rock slide detour) we arrived in Nashville just in time to get settled in, walk around downtown and pick up my race packet!!

EARLY Saturday morning I woke up, stumbled around our dark hotel room trying not to wake the roomies and met Caitlin, Bean, Chris in their room to make our way to the Start line!

We ran down to downtown Nashville, past the Predators arena, back up and around the Division St Circle (or the loop-de-loo as BK calls it), ran down into the Vanderbilt area and residential parts ... where everyone was out in their driveways watching and cheering ... then we made our way back to downtown and ended (finally) at LP Field where the Tennessee Titans play.

I dont know it if was the hills (and there were A LOT of hills), or nerves, or maybe that I had been sick - or heck - it might just have been I didn't train enough ... but I came in after my goal.

I finished with a time of 2:42 ... which was about 20 or so minutes after what I was hoping for. But I honestly just couldn't make my legs move any faster at some points and had to stop and walk. It was very frustrating, especially on the course when in my head doing the math I realized I would not make my time ... which was about the 10 mile mark when I was just at 2 hours. It was at the 8 mile mark that I was thinking to myself "This is by far the stupidest idea I've ever had and all I want to do is join the Vandy college kids who are sitting in chairs on the side of the road drinking Bloody's and Mimosas" ... but I kept running.

We met up with Tabor, Becky, Josie and Lucy at the finish line ... medals and all ... and with the chaos of people and the rain coming down, we didnt get any post-race pictures, which I am sad about ... but I suppose it just wasn't in the cards.

Due to the threat of inclement weather during the afternoon on saturday: the race ended up starting 15 minutes early and those full marathoners who weren't past a certain time at the course split were directed towards the 1/2 finish line instead ... LUCKILY ... it wasn't until about 15 minutes after I crossed the finish line that the flood gates opened up .. and I mean OPENED UP (thus no post-race photos). It rained so hard and alllllllllllll day long. Which worked well since all I wanted to do was go home and take a nap - but I do wish it had stopped so we could walk around more and be tourists :)  It did stop right before dinner and we were able to eat out and enjoy some of the Nashville night life!

Here's the official results and some photos ... Thanks for all the encouragment, support and love!

HALF MARATHON:
Chip Time: 2:42:14"
Overall Place: 16029 / 24636
Gender Place: 9251 / 15643
Division Place: 1625 / 2310
Pace: 12:23
5 Km: 33:56"
10 Mi: 2:02:14"


Becky, Josie, Tabor and Me "finishing" the race at the Expo!

My medical history? clearly I have a history of awesomness.



Race "action" photos ... so glad I took the time to wave to the camera! (I'm such a dork)
Also - one girl had a sign that said "Run like a Cullen". I felt the need to run by her and tell her I liked her sign as I have her a thumbs up.



Walking back to the hotel post-race in the the rain ... not so fun.



Nashville Arena ... where the Predators are playing Play-off hockey!

Me, Tabor, Becky and Josie in the NC Mountains on the way home from TN!


2 comments:

mom said...

Your Mother is sooooo proud of you!

Wish you would run closer to home so I could cheer for you!

mom said...

With Nashville under water now, I am so glad you got through it and got home before the rains started! All the landmarks you ran by are now under major repair.