Last night the Americans did it again. A 5-3 victory over the heavily-favored Canadians. Team USA beat them in their own backyard and they did it with emphasis. USA remains undefeated and heads into the next round of play with a day off ... something the Canadians do not get.
It's odd to sit and cheer for players I normally dislike and cheer against players I love. Like Buffalo's goalie Ryan Miller - who during the 2006 Canes playoff run I booed and last night was so glad he was in the net for us. In addition, Eric Staal scored for the Canadians and while I still want a red #12 jersey -- I did NOT want him to get on a score again.
Congrats TEAM USA! It's a very fitting anniversary present if you ask me :)
From the Raleigh News & Observer:
"VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The United States pulled off its biggest Olympic hockey upset since the Miracle on Ice, stunning Canada 5-3 on Sunday to advance to the quarterfinals of an already mixed-up tournament.
Brian Rafalski scored two goals and set up another, and Ryan Miller held off a flurry of shots to lead the Americans.
One day short of the 30th anniversary of the country's greatest hockey victory -- the unfathomable win over the Soviet Union in Lake Placid -- these underrated Americans were faster, more disciplined and more determined than Canada's collection of all-stars.
Better, too.
Canada outshot the U.S. 45-22 yet couldn't badly dent Miller, the goalie the Americans felt could best stand up to all of Canada's might. He did just that, making 42 saves in the victory of a lifetime.
These Americans didn't believe in miracles. They just believed"
A friend's facebook status last night said:
"What was it Ricky Bobby said? If you're not first ... you're Canada?"
Congrats Team USA - Let's get 3 more wins!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment