Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

You only turn 27 once .. and graduate ... 3 times?

Last weekend I headed up to Charlottesville, VA for my brother's graduate school graduation ... which happened to fall ON my birthday. After much debate of whether to go or not (in my defense ... this is his third graduation of which I attended and he due to circumstances out of his control, he missed my high school and college graduation ... AND its on my birthday ..) I decided to be a good sister and take advantage of the chance to spend the weekend with my family, see Charlotteville and most importantly I wanted to see Will's restaurant ... oh, and I guess Alston graduating is a plus too.
First of all - didn't know C'Ville was in the mountains of Virginia until about hour 3.5 of the 5 hour drive I looked up and saw all this in front of me .... which makes sense as Ellen had asked about going hiking on Saturday morning .. I don't know, I just figured it was some trail around campus?? But more to come on that later.


Friday night we gathered with Alston's classmates and their families and took over The Whisky Jar, which is owned and operated... but our cousin Will. We had some deeeeelicious fried chicken and bbq, some good tunes and a great time.

UVA's Rotunda ... gorgeous... but I'd take the Wilson Library anyday ;)






 
Saturday we woke up and decided to tackle this hike. As Ellen and POC prepare for their Peru trip, El wanted to break in her boots, insanely long hiking shorts, and get some exercise in while we're at it.

Little did we know this hike was going to be ... basically straight up...crawling over rocks and tree roots. El had a panic attack about Peru .. and I had a panic attack just in general. I could run 4 miles on Thursday but cant do a 30 min hike up a hill? whaaaaaaat?!?!

 But we made it to the top and took some great photos!!




 
The rest of Saturday included more family time ... we drove out to Veritas Vineyards and stopped by Blue Mountain Brewery and had some tastings .. before heading back to C'Ville for dinner with the Richeys and little Alston!




With Will out back at the new bbq smoker shed!


Sunday involved graduation ceremonies ... a 5 hour drive back to Charlotte ... and finally a cook out and some birthday cake :) Dinner at Cowfish on Monday night to "officially" celebrate being 27 ... and Justin Bieber decided to stop by!





Congrats Brother!


No comments: