Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

puppy love.

 This past weekend I babysat a family and two dogs - from their house I went straight to another family's house where I am staying all week who also have a dog. As I was walking Tallie this morning ... and she did a little business in a neighbor's yard ... I realized that I had no doggy-bags NOR did I even know the protocol on this particular incident. So clearly, I just tugged on her leash and walked a little quicker away from the scene of the crime. Being with dogs all weekend and all this week makes me happy - snuggling on the couch, having them sleep in or at the foot of the bed ... it made me think of Scrappy, our family dog that had to be put down 2 July's ago, due to a tumor.


Scrappy (or Scruffy, Scooby, Scraps...depending)  was purchased from the Ridgefield pound for a total of 5 dollars - this little dog quickly became part of the family. I remember the day I came home to find him - I was in 4th grade and on my way home from Girl Scouts...somehow Helen Hollyman knew we had already picked him up, but I didn't - and she kept urging me to hurry up so I could get home. I arrived at the house - and there he was. All  multi-colored, scared - and awesome. He was a smart dog ..only afraid of thunder and vaccuums. He knew that when the TV went off it was time for bed,  he barked to go outside and barked to come in, he could sit, lay down, roll over, play dead and even balance a treat on his nose until you told him to "go" and would flip it in the air and catch it. And no, I am not making that up..apparently I had wayyyyyy too much time on my hands one summer. We had to spell out W-A-L-K, and even T-R-E-A-Ts and S-Q-U-I-R-R-E-L- ... I'm telling ya -- Doggy Einstein!!

I still expect to see him when I come home to Raleigh - and still get sad sometimes when I realize he's not at the door to greet me or when I drop food on the floor he's not there to clean it up. He was my first and only family pet - and I don't think that another dog will come close. I still think we should get another family dog - Dad even has the name picked out ... so c'mon...Mom -what would you do if you had a puppy beagle on Christmas morning?!


While I have enjoyed the company of the other dogs I've been taking care of this week - Scrappy is still clearly  #1 ... and so much smarter and better looking ;) Love you Scraps!

No comments: