Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

England Soccer Tour: Part II

If you didn't catch Part I ... its one post down... and even if you did - I went back and added some new/different photos and some more words about the trip... So feel free to take another glance... actually you should all read the first part first...it will help some with this part (organization!) Sorry for the second edition!


Tue. Aug. 9th: Gunners 4 Life.

We boarded the bus for Emirates Stadium for a tour of Arsenal Football Club's home. Gunner (nicknamed after the Arsenal team) was ready wearing his jersey ... while another kid was wearing a sweatshirt for their rival team, Everton. We asked him if he was prepared for what may come. Imagine wearing a Duke shirt for a tour of the Dean Smith Center.

We were running a little late this morning for our tour of Arsenal's stadium and missed our tour time. But nothing was going to stop the #1 fan from getting in. One of the tour guides was kind enough to give the boys their own private tour. They saw the Director's Box and sat in the owner's seat, sat in the locker room and got to enter the field as if they were a Gunner.


Please note Gunner in dead center -- in his Arsenal jersey.

The Athletic Training Room.... not so impressive if you ask me.


sitting around the locker room


Sitting in the locker room!
Clearly my favorite player is going to be Ramsey!
Walking through the tunnel ... they even put sound effects on so we
felt as if we were entering into a full stadium.

Coach and I went last and might have done a dance through the tunnel.
the boys sitting on the Arsenal bench ...
a set up from the metal benches at school, eh?!

Me -- pitch side!

While leaving the Arsenal museum - 2 kids and I passed one of those machines where you can turn a coin into a souvenir coin (think pressing a penny at the Empire State building). I watch Gunner put in a coin and it shoots it right back to him. Confused about if he had used the right currency or not - he tries again, but it won't quite fit in the coin slot. or the other other. and so he tries again. and again... the one more time. and again ... I kid you not it went on for about 2 minutes - not exaggerating. 2 solid minutes.

While I'm confused as to whats happening -- my thought process is still a little slow as well. It cost 2 pounds, I just figured he had some pence or not the right coin, clearly... finally - the other kid, Crouchy, who is super smart and super quiet ... finally simply asks "uh, can I see that coin?" (Crouchy is named after the famous footballer, Peter Crouch)

Gunner looks at it finally and realized - the coin it had spit out in the beginning WAS the souvenir coin. He tried for a solid 2 minutes to put the end product back into the machine. His face was priceless, Crouchys face was priceless - and I was laughing hysterically.

Later I tried to explain to Coach what had just happened and I couldn't even get the words out I was still laughing so hard. I was actually laughing so loud that Gunner turned around from the pack of boys ahead of us and yelled back "WAIT! Are you telling him the story?! You are the worst chaperone ever making fun of kids" -- I yelled back -- I couldnt help it and it was totally worth it --  I also asked him to be sure that the coin he worked so hard for - gets brought to every soccer game this season.  Might as well get something out of it ... other than my entertainent.


We then were off to the Harlow Town Football Club where we played our final fixture of the trip -- and came away with a 2-1 win. They had a tremendous stadium for a club team complete with a club house bar/restaurant, locker rooms, Physio-Room... the works.

The fans were gracious congratulating us on our victory and hosting us for a post-match dinner. With this final win - we came out undefeated on English soil. Go America.



walking out of the stadium

Coach had brought what I call the "Mom Camera" a heavy duty, many settings, strap to wear around your neck camera. (at one point he had his jacket tied around his waist, his camera around his neck and I politely asked where his fanny pack was because that is all he needed to be the best tourist I saw that day..I wish I had taken a photo of him like that) But I took it upon myself to take the camera throughout the week and use it during the game to get some good shots of the hand shaking ceremony and some game action shots -- by the end of the week I was quite good capturing some good photos for the parents back home. I also forced the boys to gather for group shots at the various sights over the week - they would whine and ask

numerous players: why do we have to take another one?
Me: Because I'm team mom this week that's why .. and you re parents want proof a) you're alive and b) you're having fun. so smile or I'll hurt you.

SO, while the boys were walking out of the stadium ... I ran over to try to get them coming out the locker room, down the hallway and then out to the field. I was standing in front of them - walking backwards - just snapping lots of photos. I was then asked if I was the team journalist sent with them to document the trip.

In my head  I was thinking - that is the stupidest thought in the world. Why would they send me just to take pictures the whole time. At least ask if I was a teacher or just another chaperon, or coaches wife...as I was asked about that the whole week -- but a journalist? Whaaaaaaaaaat.

Instead I said "yes, we take football seriously in the States...do I need photo release froms for your lot? No? good. We've all signed ours, so feel free to take any photos that you need" and just kept taking photos. I have no clue what came over me.


shaking hands and exchanging the banners.

Coach doing work.


Each game the teams would exchange banners,
this one was already in the display case by the time the game ended.


On our drive home from the game we could see smoke
rising above -- we assume it was from the Riots.
This was about as close to the action as we got.

That night we capped off the day with a Braveheart movie party in the common room. FREEEEDOM!

Wed. August 10: Come on you Yellows! Oxford 'til I die!


Today we were scheduled to go to Wembley Stadium to watch England v. Holland ... but due the riots increasing over the past few nights and even spreading to some of the other cities- the friendly was cancelled.


I'm not going to lie. I was pretty devastated.
disappointed.
absolutely gutted.

think: A Christmas Story when Ralphy doesn't see his BB gun under the tree -- only this time, there was no surprise! its really here! moment for us.

I tried to be the adult on the trip and explain to the boys that unfortunately these things happen, it was for our safety blah blah blah. When on the inside I was pouting and whining and thinking its unfair. Cant these English police get this undercontrol in time?! This was the main thing I have been looking forward to all trip!!!
I snapped out of it though - Gary has season Man U tickets and offered them to me if I even made it back during a season. I told him he better hang on to those tickets for the next 20 years ... because this whole "England twice in one Summer" bit was SHEER luck and amazingness.

For the day we played some "Soccer Tennis" instead of practice and there were some heated matches ... then we spent the day walking about Reading some more and gave the boys some free time to shop, eat .. whatever.

When we met back up at our designated location -- all the boys could come up with was Krispy Kreme donuts AND Kristy Kreme hats. REALLY BOYS?! Travel all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and you're gonna get what was started in North Carolina?!



While we were walking around ... and eating Donuts ... Gary had made some calls and ended up getting us tickets to the Oxford v. Cardiff City game up North in Oxford.

We hopped on our bus -- and actually ended up sharing with a Finnish team that needed a ride. Earlier in the caf at dinner - PK looked over at me and said

PK: Hey Katherine - I think theyre finished eating.
ME: i look over my shoulder to see what he is pointing at ... its the Finnish coaches
PK: yeah, them. theyre finished eating.

...wait for it...

finished...... finnish.

it clicks and he sees it on my face.

PK: yup, you see what I did there.

We sat a few rows up on the goal line again -- and witnessed the Yellow's fight back to tie the game 1-1 at the end of regulation only to fall 2-1 in overtime. Best part about this game?! I went to the restroom about 3 times ... and NEVER a line in the Ladies' room -- because all the fans are men and boys...a true English crowd...enjoying pints and yelling at the ref, players, other crowd members etc. It was VERY entertaining!



Oxford FC Stadium


the boys taking in the action
once again - just smile at me...for the love of!....


Thursday August 11th: JUST GET ME HOME!

We woke up this morning -- had some breakfast - packed (although I am ahead of the game and I packed last night) and met in the common room to wait for bus. Watching some more news on the riots...we layed on the couches and waited to count heads.

(btw - I wanted to number all the kids 1-15 and have them count off and also all week just call them by that number. So 4 and 13 ... get this and 12 grab the cones, thanks. But they weren't down with that...wierd)

15 kids. 1 coach ... 1 tour guide and wait?!? Where's Katherine?!

Answer? not moving and still on the couch

Coach: haha, oh, are you  not coming with us?
Me: Nope. Yall go ahead -- tell them I missed the flight and decided to stay.
Coach: sounds good, best of luck
Me: Yup,  Cheers!

I did eventually get up and board the bus with the rest of the hooligans. We checked into London-Heathrow...grabbed a coffee and the boys spent the rest of the time buying useless knick-knacks to spend the rest of the pounds they have left over.

Our flight to Atlanta was easier than the flight over due to not panicking about having to fall asleep - I was able to watch 4 movies... some TV ... played some more InFlight trivia...I'm telling you that game is addicting. The majority of us sat together, but there was one or two sprinkled a few rows ahead and behind. As the scores were posted and the correct answer displayed - you would see hands raised in victory randomly. As I got to sit in the back and watch all the hands celebrate...or even punch the air in frustration...it was quite a sight to see. I once again, came in ahead of the dyslexic kid.

8 million hours later ... I watch us pass Charlotte on the screen mapping our route in front of us  ... get a little depressed -- Cant they just hand me a parachute and let me out here?! Why do we have to pass home?!

We land in the ATL and here's where the chaos starts.

When you land: you have to claim your bags and then re-check them...(yeah, you read that right...so stupid)we had less than an hour before our connecting flight to Charlotte. Slowly all the kids start grabbing their bags ... I grab my suitcase and I'm waiting for my med kit. One other kid also doesnt have his bag. Finally - I send Coach and the rest of the kids on ... thinking worst case scenario -- I will figure out how to get me and TP on a later flight to Charlotte even though Atlanta is the worst airport in the world.

oh, and by figure out - I totally mean probably start crying and call Dad -- even thought I know the answer is to go to a Delta kiosk and ask for help. I would still cry and call Dad. I'm 26 and not afraid to admit it.

FINALLY ... our bags come through and we sprint through the line to re-check them to Charlotte. We skip dinner ... even though I'm not even quite sure what time or what meal I am supposed to be eating at this point....make it to our gate -- and board shortly afterwards.

But wait - there are thunderstorms in the Charlotte area and nowhere for us to land when we get theres, so were gonna hang out on the runway. FOR AN HOUR!!!

For our 42 minute flight to Charlotte -- a shorter flight then already the time we sat on the runway... we were on an older Delta plane and without our inFlight trivia -- I stuck to my People crossword puzzle...which lasted all about 10 minutes.

Some of the kids are right behind me and said to me - that I look tired and miserable. I thanked them for this twisted observation and blamed it all on them. I spent my 6 days beingn in charge. I was done. get me off this plane.

The rest of the team were either sleeping or trying to start their summer reading (yes, start) so I looked through the SkyMall magazine and decided that I was going to order this for Ellen's new house. Merry Christmas Sister!
We land ... and still ... no where for us to go. We actually have to wait for about 2 plans to board and leave before we can taxi to our gate. It's hot, I'm hungry, I'm tired - and I want.to.get.off.this.plane.

Paul keeps me entertained some more with his jokes -- and I think in my delirious state I was laughing even more than in the beginning of the week. He actually had me laughing ... so loud -- that I drew the attention of the entire back half of the plane. Whoops.

whats the difference between roast beef and pea soup?
anyone can roast beef!

Knock, knock
Whos there?
To
To Who?
To Whom. Learn correct grammar.
Ask me if I'm a tree.
Are you a tree?
No.

You see what he did there? (so stupid, I know...but at rapid fire and with the way he delivers the punch lines...you can't help but laugh and once I start its hard to stop)

He eventually announces that

"The good new is we have only been traveling for 19 hours. Worse news, it could be 20"

his twin brother announces

"I'm about to start a riot here...whos with me?"

I look up and say that I will. I'll do anything to get off this plane. I'm done being the role model. Riot all you want. Riots in London, Riots in Charlotte... I've got your back.

Finally about 11:30p (scheduled originally 8.30p) -- 4:30am London time...I make it to my own bed. My queen sized, comfortor, lots of pillows, TV in my room bed!!

It honestly was a great trip. We lucked out with the group of young men that were involved. We watched some great football, played some great football, avoided the riots ... and stayed healthy!

England Round 2?! done and done.

No comments: