Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recycled Art!

My Aunt who is an Art teacher and lives in Virginia came to me last summer with a request.

They were doing a school wide project and needed bottle caps. Would I be able to help collect some from students, sports teams, clubs, etc?!

Ohhh, Would I??! Who knew throwing a bag with a sign "for caps" beside a recycle bin would be so helpful.

This past fall - I ended up bringing home about 3 garbage bags full of bottle caps. Literally ...three garbage bags.... stuffed full of Gatorade caps, Powerade caps, Sundrop, Cheerwine ... caps, caps, caps!! Thanks to Steph who also helped me collect ... and dig through recycle bins (you're not supposed to put bottles with caps in the recycle bin anyway...)  we were able to hook WMS up!

It's been a tedious process - sorting ALL those caps into colors and size, panting the board first so the students would have a pattern to follow, connecting the caps to the board turned out not to be so easy ... and finally ... I received an email last night from Aunt Sarah thanking us and showing us the final project!

The mural shows the state of Virginia (clearly) and it's symbols including: the flag and state bird. Around the state are symbols representing the regions that it is known for including mining, cotton, battlefields, and apples!... the mural simple ROCKS! Congrats guys!!!





No comments: