After debating which outfit will be the least miserable in the rain, we borrowed a pair of umbrellas from the hotel but luckily didn't have to open them once. The rain held off, although we did have the typical cloudy, foggy London weather. (we win again!)
Let me now explain to you about navigating around London.
We had a big map ... and we had a Underground map. Pretty self-explanatory.
I was pretty good at figuring things out and the direction we needed to go. I even helped some girls from Finland while we were at the RAF museum... Dad on the other hand struggled. As a matter of fact, he never quite got used to simply going right out of our hotel room to get to the lift. (like how I throw some British terms in there?!) I would walk out in the morning ... watch him start off in the wrong direction ... and eventually stopped saying "heyyyy, wrong way" ... I assumed he would just figure it out eventually.
The night before today's trip I had a direct plan of attack. I knew what tube lines we needed to take, which stops we needed to change in ... and how to get to our destination once we were back on ground level. However; we still had to stop and look at the maps every few feet.
All week I would say "Ok, we go this way" and Dad would stop, still looking at the map, and ask "well, wait wait wait, how do you know!?" -- the answer is simple. Because the sign said to go this way or because this what our Concierge told us to do! Or when dealing with the tube -- because you see this red line? and the stop is 3 circles down ... so we stay here on the red line. and it will bring us there. I promise.
Dad studying the map.
After convincing him that I indeed had the right route in my head -- we hopped on the tube and went North of Central London to Wesley Chapel and the John Wesley House. John Wesley was the founder of the Methodist Church ... and it was here that he lived while in London.
Dad in front of the statue of John Wesley.
Wesley Chapel
The house was a sweet little typical 3 story London home and we saw rooms such as his kitchen, sitting room, bedroom and prayer room. Our tour guide ... was ... a little intense. He clearly loved doing this and was excited to be able to spread his knowledge and faith with others. I however; stressed out a little as he kept asking me questions ... and kept ignoring rules. At one point he walks over the ropes around the furniture and says "Its okay, no one else is watching you guys can all come over here" ... wait. what?! I don't think this is allowed....I'm pretty sure all these "Do Not Touch" signs and ropes are in place for a reason! He then proceeded to simply show us how everything worked -- even it if it meant opening drawers and shoving them back in on these antique pieces of furniture. I cringed every time he moved something! But he seemed totally okay with it all, so we followed along.
The prayer room
John Wesley's grave behind the Chapel
Me in the Chapel.
I don't think you could take photos inside ... but like I said our
tour guide was following his own set of rules.
My favorite part was when we were in the Prayer room he asked that our group hold hands and come together to pray. Ok, I thought, it will be a pretty neat thing to say that I prayed in John Wesley's house ... I'll roll with this ... and then he looked up at my Dad and asked if he would lead us in prayer.
play this:
Yeah. If this was a movie - that sound effect would be used record scratch and the room went silent.
If you don't know my family --we say (something sing) grace. However; NONE of us ... aside from my Grandad Russel or Uncle Eddie ... like to be put on the spot to do so. Generally at big gatherings and meals when we do hold hands ... we bounce around from person to person as to who has to start / lead grace...and generally do some quoting of "Christmas Vacation" ... The blesssssssing!
This poor tour guide didn't know what he had quite asked my father to do. I couldn't even look up because I was afraid I was going to burst out laughing. I stared hard at my feet not offering up any help what-so-ever to take the pressure off of him. I was actually thinking of how I could get my camera out in the middle of a prayer...
Dad simply looked at him ... shook his head and said "No."
All was well ... our guide took over ... and a crisis was averted.
After the Wesley tour, which should have lasted maybe an hour .... and lasted about 2 ... we ate at The Eagle, which is one of the oldest and traditional English pubs. It is also mentioned in an old English nursery rhyme ... which is also displayed on the outside of the building.
A lot of people have asked me if I ate some typical English foods.
I'm sorry -- do you know me?! I survive on chicken, turkey, cereal and peanut butter.
but clearly not all together.
I wish I liked fish and could have done the standard "Fish and Chips"but I only eat raw tuna. I know, I'm weird. did eat a lot of chicken ... but I did branch out with how it was prepared.
The Eagle had some interesting choices -- I went with Chicken and Brie sandwich.
On the way home: I dragged Dad through Kings Cross Station to find Platform 9 and 3/4.
There is construction going on at the moment, so we were literally winding ALL through the station. As we approached the entrance for Platforms 9 - 11 ... I realized that the platforms were behind the ticket gate. Crap! Was I going to have to purchase a train ticket just to get onto the platform?!? and if so, am I going to have to ask Dad for some pounds?! I will, if I need to...
So I walked up and asked one of the employees. He looked pretty annoyed, as I am sure he is asked the same question a million times a day. He looked at me then back out at the trains and said "yea yea yea, it used to be here, now its front of the station. by the coffee shop. that way"
I turned around, simply pointed at Dad - then pointed down the hallway ... I didn't want him to as questions, just needed him to follow. Along the walk back to the front of the station, we passed a family with 2 small children who were also searching for the Platform.
Dad looked at me and said "Please let them go before you when we get there"
As if I was going to shove two 4-year olds out of the way?!?! ... well ... maybe he had a point. Ok, fine ... I would let them have their fun first...but they better be quick about it.
There it was ... as promised. Platform 9 3/4 with a trolley partway through the wall as if you were on your way to the Hogwarts Express.
One of the children starting to ask why he couldn't go through ... ohhh, if only.
Here I am at the Platform:
Ellen said the best part of these photos is the fact
that she knew Dad had to take them.
NOW ... most of you (my father included) are reading this (or perhaps skimming this) and thinking "a) what is wrong with this girl? We're in London and she wants to see some wall?! and b) i don't care .. and when you explain something about Muggles and Wizards school you lost me
yeah. if you're not a HP fan ... you just don't understand. But those who are - totally got it. Here is a little snippit for those who need to understand what the Platform is:
this link will take you to YouTube (it wouldn't let me embed the video)
http://youtu.be/xh95Ymn6F8c
I might have hurried some small children out of the way, but at least I didn't do this:
Executive decision -- one more post to come tomorrow on the final dinner ... and some odds and end that I forgot in the previous entries. XOXOX.

No comments:
Post a Comment