Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

NOLA: Part Deux

If you are just now joining us ... part one is posted below. You might want to read that first - and maybe you should check in more often so you're not out of order ... yeesh.

TUESDAY we sat through some more presentations. I spent a lot of time this morning wandering through the Exhibit hall … playing with new technology and trying out new products. I stopped by the Cramer tape booth and put as many colored rolls of pre-wrap that I could take in my Gatorade bag. My kids will thank me … although my friends stood there and just shook their heads.

I also texted Monica, who sadly stayed back in Charlotte - to tell her I wanted to order
THIS new kit ... I don't need it, I just wanted it.


We grabbed lunch in between sessions at Mother’s … known for its Po’Boys and ham … you stand in line and wind through the restaurant and order … then find a table and they will bring you your food. Similar to Pat’s cheesesteak stand in Philly, there is a quick and efficient way to order. And again, similar to the Pat’s in Philly, I completely butchered it. I don’t order food well under pressure.



Somehow I ended up with a legit Shrimp Po’Boy … and I must say … it was quite delicious.


Our keynote speaker for the weekend was Archie Manning, father of Peyton and Eli Manning and former New Orleans Saints player. His speech didn’t really have anything to do with Athletic Training. Actually, it had nothing to do with it – and he kept calling us Trainers (which the NATA as been trying so hard to get away from for the past few years, so of course, I giggled every time he said Trainer and not Athletic Trainer and I imagined the NATA people just cringing)

Archie giving his speech!


He spoke well though and it was entertaining. He didn’t ask for my phone number for Eli though, so I thought that was a little weird.


We ate dinner at the oldest bar in the United States. LaFritte’s Blacksmith Shop at the other end of Bourbon Street. It was a really neat place, with a live pianist, a huge stone fireplace in the middle, lit by candlelight and with the wood and ceiling beams bowing out … it was a cool place to be. You're supposed to order a "VooDoo" which is basically some sort of purple slurpee drink ... but we stayed away.


Walking down Bourbon Street to get to LaFrittes



LaFritte's Blacksmith Shop Bar



the plaque that explains all the history.
Here is a summary: built between 1722 and 1732 by Nicolas Touze, is reputed to be the oldest structure used as a bar in the United States. Between 1772 and 1791, the property is believed to have been used by the Lafitte Brothers, Jean and Pierre as a New Orleans base for their Pirate operations.

Kristy, Randy and Me

Kristy and Me outside the sign. It got dark, so clearly you can't see it.


WEDNESDAY was our final day in NOLA – we woke up early and headed to CafĂ© du Monde – home of the famous beignets and coffee. It is the original French Market coffee stand established in 1862.  It serves only coffee and beignets -- 24 hours a day, 364 days a year. (its only closed on Christmas...and in the event of a Hurricane)

With a tip from a local that you dont have to wait in line - its open seating, grab it while you can - we walked in the right entrance, bypassed the line of tourists and sat right down. yahtzee!


deliciousness.

black tank top + lots of powdered sugar = Katherine needs a bib.

I asked to take a picture with Kristy and Randy. Randy immediatly put his hands over his eyes. I had no clue what was going on -- then Kristy put her hands over her mouth, and Randy moved his to his ears. Once again - no clue what was happening.


Then we somehow ended up with this:
(we got a normal photo too, finally)


Afterwards we walked all around the French Quarter in and out of shops in the French Market, through Jackson Square. It was originally known as 'Place d'Armes' and later renamed in honor of the Battle of New Orleans hero, Andrew Jackson.  It faces the Mississippi River and is surrounded by historic buildings including the St. Louis Cathedral, the Louisiana State Museums, the Lower and Upper Pontalba Apartments (the oldest apartment buildings in the U.S.) The whole French Market  area is full of artists, merchants, vendors and shops along the street level and still apartments above! So cute!



Not lieing about how hot it was ... stores were bribing us to come with their air conditioning:



Marianna and I with some masks!

Afterwards I went to put them back on the shelf and there was a sign right there that said
"ABSOLUTLY NO PICTURES" I set the masks down, turned
 around to Mare and JE and just said "run!"

Next we stopped at St. Louis Cathedral in the heart of Jackson Square, a gorgeous church that
even the Pope visited at one point. We didn't go in it ... it was about to rain and we were panicking!
Goodness can rain pop up out of nowhere down in NOLA!

I was shouting "wait! I'm like Ricky Bobby - I dont know
what to do with my hands! WAIT! What do I do with my hands?!?!



thats better. less awkward, I think.





We grabbed lunch before we headed to the airport at Drago’s Seafood Restaurant…I was intent on trying something "New Orleans" ... like crawfish or gumbo.  I somehow got talked into trying the stuffed Lobster. It was on the lunch special menu , and like I said – I was trying to order gumbo, then it was a crabcake, then it was crawfish and then I somehow ended up with a Lobster. I have never ordered, nor eaten a Lobster before.


So when it came out looking like this ... you can imagine my face:


ummm .... I only ordered a half. they brought me a whole. Still was only
lunch speical price .... bingo! jokes on them!

what is happening?!!??

I didn’t even know where to begin. It legs and antennae were still attached … I had to crush its claws and pull things apart and it was lot of work and I was a little overwhelmed. At least I provided a lot of entertainment for my tablemates … and our waiter. Goodness gracious, I just need some simple Bojangles after all this!

Out of all that we did - I still didn't get to do all that I wanted. Next time, if there is a next time, I intend to find Plum Street and get a true New Orleans Snoball. I also would like to see the Mardi Gras Museum with all the old floats and history, walk through Lafeyette Cemetary, and perhaps see some of Tulane University. All in all, a pretty solid trip for cramming it all into 3 days ... and along with a convention.

Next Years NATA trip: St. Louis -- the Gateway to the West!
Kristy and I are going to race up the Gateway Arch. Start placin' your bets now.

No comments: