Top 3 not-so-good things from this past weekend:
1. First Carolina loss of the season ... handed to us by the Ramblin Wreck of Georgia Tech.
2. I got a little sunburned ... on the left side of my body only, whoopsie
3. I think I gained 10 lbs from sushi, steak and snacks. but it was delicious!
Top 3 GOOD things from this past weekend:
1. It took me shorter time to find the hair dryer in the hotel Saturday morning
than it did when I was in London ... which took me 3 days.
2. I didn't get run over standing on the sidelines of the game.
(although a final stat of Katherine Mann: 1 tackle .... woulda been awesome)
3. Dwight Jones made my day by yelling to the UNC crowd to "get up".
I can't even repeat what he said for fear of my mother reading this. but it was awesome.
Long story short: Dad, after a charity auction at UNC, ended up with two sideline passes to the Carolina v. Georgia Tech game in Atlanta last weekend -- in addition to flying down with the team and being invited to team meals, etc. He came away with 2 spots .. and a family friend, Mr. N ... also had 2 spots. I can't even repeat what he said for fear of my mother reading this. but it was awesome.
Mom said "No, thank you" when Dad came home with the deal ... so the invite was extended to me ... and I thought .. .heck, why not? Sure it will be creepy for a 26 year old to be on the plane ... gawking at these players ... but whatevs ... it was only going to be creepy when I was trying to make out with Braden Hanson ... even if he is the backup backup QB.
Friday: Travel Day
Upon arrival in Raleigh ... en route to Chapel Hill --- oh yes, I drove from Charlotte ...passed Chapel Hill ... to Raleigh ... changed cars, headed to Chapel Hill ,... then boarded the team bus to bring us back to Raleigh ... to board the flight to take us to Atlanta ... 8 hours later ... I realized I should have just driven from Charlotte and cut my losses of the free food on the plane. At least I drive a fuel efficient 4Runner...oh wait.
...anyway...
Upon my arrival in Raleigh - I was informed that we were the first "Father-Daughter" duo to make the trip ... normally it is a boys trip or the wives will go. So with that, they were worried about daughters being on the sideline and did not want us being a distraction.A DISTRACTION!??!
oh wait, I suppose they heard about my plan to make out with Hanson.
Okay okay, UNC...fair point.
Fast Forward to our arrival in the ATL -- we had a police escort and 5 charter buses take us to the team hotel
oh, hello Atlanta!
It took 5 Charter buses to get the team, support staff and VIP's
to and from places.
We arrive at the hotel in Buckhead -- and met up with fellow fans for some cocktails in the lobby before we went out to dinner .... while the team had meetings and their dinner... Dad and Mr. N did get to stop in a see all this --- A and I had red wine and appetizers and were just as content.
a) He played for the University of North Carolina
c) he runs out with the American Flag every game ... which I later found out - was flown in some missions by his brother who is in the service and brought back to him for the UNC games. Last year when he was out with his knee - he hand picked the player who got to run out of the tunnel with it.
Matt walks in and sits at a different section with his mother... since he knew some of the people I was sitting with, he very kindly walked over to say hello -- we spoke, congratulated him on the interceptions -- Dad told him while he did the right thing by taking a knee, he shoudla run one of them back .... and we mentioned we would be on the sideline at the game, we were excited ... and good luck!
Saturday Morning: Game Day
We woke up and got a start on the day ... we had to be on the buses ready to depart the stadium by 9:15a and we met for breakfast at 8a. I am proud to say it only took me 2 tries to find where the hair dryer was located ... unlike England where it took me 3 days and finally Dad had to ask the front desk. Come to find out - it was in a secret compartment in the desk... and no, I am not making that up to make myself look better. So already, I am winning today.
We ate a good breakfast and boarded the buses for Bobby Dodd Stadium --- we walked right to field and awaited the team to come out and warm up. It was neat to see all their pre-game rituals right up close!
Me and Dad in... a then ... empty stadium
credentials.
Coaches preparing for the game
Trey Boston warming up
![]() |
| Goose and I on the field in 2006. |
"Yes, I know. I do this every week... I will get out of the way trust me... thank you for the heads up...
...but you know who DIDN'T get out of the way one time?! My friend, Goose -- who was taken out at one of the Wingate games by our own quarterback ... on a televised game ... Water bottles, hair ribbons and medical supplies EVERYWHERE ... it was awesome.
The DB's and safety's are warming up right in front of me doing their sprints, etc from the 10 yard line down the end zone and then they walk back, jump in line and repeat. As I am watching this group -
Matt is walking back to his line and he smiled and waved hello.
I waved back ... looking a little confused ... and then did the whole look around behind me to make sure that he wasn't waving at someone else.... no no, it was for me.
I looked up at dad and he just laughs and goes "so much for not being a distraction".. later come to find out Dad and Mr. N decide to blame the whole loss on me ... whoopsie.
The rest of the game -- I was not a distraction -- but it was pretty awesome to watch the game from the sidelines. With my job, obviously I am on the sideline for on average 3-4 football games a week -- and with my college clinicals, I was on their sideline for a whole season -- however; something about a D1 Carolina team ... makes it that much more impressive.
above - the professional shot of Matt and the team entering the field.
Below - my shot of Matt and Renner entering the field.
I watched the coaches, I watched the Athletic Trainers, I watched the players, I watched the cheerleaders (i shoulda stood in the line up near them and done the fight song cheer with them ... I can do it, move for move, and that coulda been legendary .... am I right, Eliz, E and Carrie?! ha!)
Defense on the field
Offense on the field
After the game -- we boarded the buses and immediately left for the airport to fly back to Raleigh. It was a quiet flight ... obviously with the loss and all ... but all around it was a pretty neat trip.
Mom sent me this picture on Monday morning ... I added the circle so you could see my awesomeness.
Go Heels. Go America.
and lets beat ECU this weekend.
and lets beat ECU this weekend.









1 comment:
Dood. You totally should have cheered with them! That would have been epic. At the very least, I don't know why you didn't volunteer your athletic trainer skillz for the game. Baller! Seriously, you should be a trainer for the UNC team!! That would be awesome. Why haven't you looked into this yet?!
Post a Comment