Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

the best 8 dollars I ever spent.

(well, technically it was 10.00 because there was 2.00 service fee)

I mentioned earlier I bought a 10.00 ticket for "An Evening with Jim Avett" with EOdio and K #2 ... Em found it and asked if we wanted to  go.. and whats not to love?  love cheap tikets, love these ladies, love the Avett's so I'm sure I would love Pops Avett, love Blue Moons on a Friday night ... so yeah ... bought the ticket and we and this past Friday night we headed to the Evening Muse in NoDa.

Here's how it all went down.

FIRST: We walk in the door to claim our tickets from "Will Call" ... and by "Will Call" I mean the man on the chair at the front door with a clipboard and hi-liter. As I'm weaseling my way in through the door further so that EOdio can get in from the cold as well -- an older gentleman comes up and simply says:

 "We want to thank yall for being the pretty girls here...
normally we can't get anyone but old people like us"

I laughed and replied: "yes, well... you are welcome!"

Immediately afterwards I looked at Em again and she goes "wait. wasn't that Jim Avett?"... so yes. Poppa Avett thanked us for being the pretty girls in the bar. (already winning)

He began the show - and it was just him and his buddy .. then slowly added a celloist and his daughter, Bonnie ... It was really, really just.... awesome.  We sat and chatted and enjoyed a great show.

Jim Avett with his daughter, Bonnie and his other band-mates.


SECOND: I planned poorly and as our seats were all the way to the left next to the wall ...

[side bar] - when I say "all the way to the left"... keep in mind this venue is a tiny, tiny, room with a small stage in the front ... about 8 rows of chairs .. some standing room in the back and bar to the right. No bigger than my apartment to be honest ... so ... the poor planning part was we weren't on the aisle ... we were next to the wall.

So I planned poorly and didn't use the restroom before Jim took the stage.  Midway through I had to go, but I didn't want to get up because the music was good and I didn't want to crawl over everybody... buttttt... I really needed to use the restroom -- so in between songs, I apologized to everyone as I scooted by and stepped over people ...

I get to the bathroom and someone is in there --  I step back, then take a few more steps back towards to the stage so I could watch while I wait and some girl comes up and tries to open the bathroom door too ... and I had a look of "oh excuse me miss, sorry .. .but yeah ... Im in line ..sooooo...about that....(pointing to the spot next to me) ... here is where you can stand....thanks"

She then peeks in between a black curtain that is separating the back of the bar, from the bathroom line area. She looks at me and says "The Avetts are back there. Seth and Scott Avett are right there" ...

At that very moment the bathroom becomes un-occupied.

I look at the curtain.
I look at the bathroom.
I look back at the curtain as the girl pulls it further and steps behind it.
 and then I look at the girl holding the bathroom door for me as well.

Game-time decision needed.

I don't think I ever used the restroom as quickly as I did then. Washed my hands, dried them on my sweater and dress (couldn't waste time waiting for the paper towel machine) ... stepped out ... and then yes, I pulled back the curtain and stepped behind as well.

And there they were. Scott right in front of me ... with I assume the bar manager... along with the opening act. I turned around and Seth Avett was in the corner right behind me.

 I stood in the middle of all them literally - this place is tiny so they were cramped into a small area basically standing in a circle...in this awkward little space ... So i just spun around shaking everyone hands and saying ...

"Well, if shes gonna be creepy that I'm going to be as well. Hope thats okay. She said in the bathroom line you were back here and I had to see for myself.... Just wanted to say hello ... I love you ... thanks for all that you do, we think you are amazing and hope to see you out there"

Yes, I told Seth Avett I loved him. He said "thanks, thanks so much..." -- which basically translates into he loves me too.

then I couldn't get back to K and E fast enough. I think I stepped on people rather than stepping over them ... and I simply said "theyre here. they are here and I just shook their hands. holy crap."

THIRD:  Jim stops a few songs later and announces "You  might know these couple of guys....." and yes, Seth and Scott walk right out and pick up guitars and no further than 5 feet in front of me ... played with their Dad.

and it was insane.
and awesome.
and incredible.
and unbelievable.
and mindblowing that they were right there.

and I lost my mind.





You can hear Kat lean over at one point and go "best 8 dollars I ever spent in my life"

and yes. yes it was.
a million times yes.


After the show -- we thanked Pops Avett for sharing his amazing musical family
 with us tonight and everynight.

So glad I got to share the evening with these 2 girls
 as well who understand the amazingess of what just happened ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) FANTASTIC. Thank you for blogging about last night. I might copy, paste into Microsoft word, and tape it into a page in my journal.

Emily O. said...

BEST EIGHT DOLLARS EVER SPENT. Let's go back?

I still don't feel like that actually happened.