Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Buried Life.


Last night MTV aired a new show called "The Buried Life." It is about 4 guys who all asked the same question...What do you want to do before you die? They created a list of 100 tasks...ranging from #14- To Grow A Mustache....to #38-Kiss The Stanley Cup (see below) to #100 - Go To Space. They decided that whenever they are able to complete as task on their list, they would help a stranger with theirs. In last night's episode they completed task #6- Sneak into a Playboy Party (they dressed as Oompa Loompas and hid in a cake) and in turn they raised money (by breakdancing on the street) and bought a brand-new computer for a 5th grade class. Next week they are attempting to give a toast at a stranger's wedding!

You can see their complete list and more information on their journey here: http://www.theburiedlife.com/

It got me thinking about what would be on my list. My best friend, Christine and I actually started a list a while ago - with simple things on it like: go skiing, go the the NC Zoo...nothing too crazy, but things that we want to do before its too late.

I think in a way we all have our own lists without officially writing anything down. Our New Year's Resolutions, our goals, our dreams, our adventures become our lists without us even knowing it. Things like graduating college, succeeding in a job, falling in love, getting married...things that seem pretty basic.

 I think that helping people and being a good person and role model shouldn't be on peoples lists. It should just be done. Volunteering for ASP and Habitat for Humanity, fundraising and helping organizations like the LLS and AMF shouldn't be a task. I work with middle and high schoolers - not only do I try to keep them healthy and playing their sport ...but I try to steer them in the right direction...hoping one day later on they'll realize I somewhat knew what I was talking about.

So I suppose that over the past 24 years of my life I've created a small list of my own...it changes as I grow up and as my life changes...it's nothing extravagant, nothing that's going to change the world ... but things that I want to say I did, or at least attempted. (and these are in no particular order)

1. Travel.
           I've only traveled once - to Chile, for 10 days for college. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing and we had the best group anyone could ask for ... but I want to really travel. Make my own itinerary. See England and the War Cabinet rooms, see Ireland, see Manchester United play in Old Trafford. It doesn't have to limited to Europe...but Europe is first on my travel list. My family collectively has been literally, all around the world. Chile was still in the same time-zone as North Carolina, and we spent most of the 10 days on a Charter bus.

2. Go Skiing.
          This was probably actually the first item on my list. We lived in Connecticut for 6 years, and I never went. My brother and sister did, I didn't. My brother actually got a concussion while skiing...maybe thats why I never signed up to go. But I want to say I attempted it... We're actually planning a trip to Denver in February, so maybe I'll be able to cross this of my list then? I should add not to break any bones in the process!

3. Attend an Major League Baseball Game.
          This one is actually edited. Two years ago it would have read "Attend an NFL, NBA, NASCAR and MLB game". I have lived in/around Charlotte for 7 years now and I finally made it to the hometown team's events. When you live in a city where these things are offered ... you HAVE to go. So after numerous Carolina Hurricanes and Panthers games, 2 Bobcats games and a NASCAR All-Star Race later... I have attended every professional sport ... except an MLB game. (well, and an MLS game...and I wouldn't mind seeing David Beckham in action....)

4. Go Scuba Diving in Hawaii with my Dad.
          Around 4th grade we took a family trip to Hawaii.  My family went scuba diving....they swam with the Sea Turtles and the fish.... but I was too young. My mother and I went on a "submarine adventure" and bless her heart, because I now know she was motion sick and miserable. However; my dad promised me that we would go back and I would get my chance.


5. See my team win the Stanley Cup....and kiss it.
           I didn't mean for this one to be on here, it just kind of happened. When the Hurricanes moved to Raleigh we started going, we weren't very good...but we were good enough. Finally, in 2006, we won the Stanley Cup against the Oilers in a Game 7. I remember when my dad looked at me before the game and asked "What do we do if we lose? Do we stay and see the Cup be presented?" Luckily, we didn't have to worry about that. The Cup then made it's way around Raleigh to its sponsors and I got to kiss it. I like to think of it as I also got to kiss Eric Staal.

6.  See the Tar Heels win a National Championship.
         Seeing the Canes win makes me want to see my Heels win. Football hasn't gone to the big show in .... a while, but maybe theres still hope. We tried with the basketball team in 2008 in San Antonio... Kansas got in our way of that. My brother made it to Detriot, but he was the only one of the family. Maybe one of these days ... not this season....but soon. :)

7. Run a 1/2 Marathon.
        This was never on my original list either. We got a crazy idea to do a 10k last year and when that didn't make me want to quit running all together - I decided to go for a 1/2 this year...all 13.1 miles of it. This will take place on April 28th in Nashville, TN ...  I'm not sure about a full ... but I wouldn't say never...

8. Disney World: Take 2.
        I've always said I wanted to go back to Disney World. I'm not sure why...we went when were kids, and I remember most of it. I would like to go again and be a princess for the day.

9. Take a dance class and a cake decorating class. OH! and an ART class AND a cooking class!
      I never took dance lessons. No tap, no jazz. The most I did was learn my cheerleading routines. I love to dance...just ask my sister. I think to take a class and learn some fun routines would be an awesome work out and tons of fun for me. I also love to bake, cook and draw. I do the basics, things that I know how do to. I would love to take a class just so I can learn the right way to do things, rather than just figuring them out by accident.

10. I'm not sure about #10... really I just didn't want to end a list with 9 items. I guess I will leave this one blank and as opportunities present themselves...I can add on.

1 comment:

Christine said...

woot woot lets go skiing!! thanks for the shout out