This isn't the first time The Lion King has returned to the theatres. Originally released in 1994 (I was in fourth grade!) it had another run in 2002 ... and now Walt is bringing it back in 2011 ... and bringing it back in 3D. and last night .... you better believe it --- we went!
Hands down - The Lion King is one of the best Disney animated films out there (my favorite still holds strong with Sleeping Beauty or Robin Hood) ... and I dare you to disagree with me .... or the rest of America.
Some True Facts from last night:
I cried in the stampede scene. Okay, okay -- I'll admit -- I actually started crying before the scene even began ... some things never change. Don't judge me ....
I wonder if as a kid I found it as funny? I was laughing quite a bit at the jokes, one-liners and at Ed ... the clearly drugged up hyena. I wonder as a kid if it all went over my head?
As a child I also didn't recognize the famous people that are in it: Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Whoopi Goldberg, Moira Kelly (okay, so shes not really quite famous ... but this go round I recognized her voice from One Tree Hill)
3D ... was AWESOME. JUST awesome.
Why The Lion King is one of the best Disney movies, ever.
1. The opening scene -- the music, the setting, the animals, baby Simba ... and then the drums and ending with just the title ... how can you NOT get excited?!
1. The opening scene -- the music, the setting, the animals, baby Simba ... and then the drums and ending with just the title ... how can you NOT get excited?!
2. Jonathan Taylor Thomas ... aka JTT ... as the voice of little Simba
3. The Sega Genesis game ... as to which I struggle with the stampede scene and to this day I still can't beat the waterfall level.
5. The tunes ... how can you NOT know all the tunes?! Award-winning soundtrack, Elton John, Circle of life ...I might have been singing along in the theatre.
5. In college we did a Disney themed-skit for Greek Week ... and LVL as our Greek Director ... as Rafiki ... in those overalls, singing the circle of life ... will forever be in my head when I hear that opening song.
but seriously -- how HARD was this Stampede scene in the video game?!
Rocks and Wildebeasts ... and intense music. I'm having a panic attack just thinking about it.
[ side note ]
Other Top 5 Disney Animated Classics .. in no particular order
2. Aladdin (1992) - you can't beat this one either ... its actually been on tv lately ... annnnnnnd I've stopped what I was doing and watched it. and sang along. great soundtrack as well ...make way for Prince Ali
3. Robin Hood (1973) - with the animals?! Definitely one of my top favorites -- I used to put a pink blanket on top of my head and pretend to be Maid Marion.... Oo-de-lally, OOdelally, golly what a day.
4. Alice in Wonderland -(1951) - I simply love this story in all the different forms of novels and movies - whether its animated or the 1980 TV version that Mom has on a VHS somewhere still ... curiouser, and curiouser.
5. Cinderella (1950) - probably the most famous princess, but whatever ... SBeauty can take her ... also a staple Disney classic, so you technically can't leave this one off any list. Mice and cats and evil stepmothers - and fairy godmothers?! Can't lose. Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo.


No comments:
Post a Comment