Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

the only time I wish I was back in high school ...

... is last week ... which was Homecoming week here in Charlotte.

This version of spirit week is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is a full week of costumes, chanting, community service and decorating.... and pretty much not going to class at all. Points are accumulated all week long ... with the winner being announced at the homecoming dance that weekend.

Each day is a different kind of day-- with different costumes, themes, events, contests.... I believe this week we had everything from Nascar Fans to LiveStrong members.

and it all builds up to Friday afternoon when the campus is transformed. In the pass it has turned into Wonderland, Hogwarts, Dr. Suess, Bed Rock, Jurassic Park, Space Jam, scenes from UP! and Spongebob ... lots of creativity around this campus!

This years themes included: Angry Birds, Toy Story, Around the World in 80 days, and the Mayan Kingdom.


CanDo Day ... each grade brings in canned goods. Points are awarded to the grade with the most!

Juniors - Around the World in 80 days ...
 included: Golden Gate bridge, Big Ben, Giza pyramids, Eiffel Tower...


Seniors had the Mayan Civilization and 3 VERY big pyramids ... and some llamas?

Freshmen had angry birds -- and the level obstacle courses all throughout the halls.

After everyone has walked through all the decorations ... and witnessed everything the kids have worked so hard for.

its dance time.

and I mean ... 100 kids (everyone in the grade) ... doing a 8-10 minute routine -- in costume -- all together --- and its hilarious, entertaining and sometimes ... down right awesome.

 Thnk about it: these are all the kids that are on the fields ... recruited by colleges  -- winning all sorts of academic awards and scholarships -- including one who is on his way to Princeton on a soccer scholarship -- and here he is ... doing the Bernie... in a tribal costume.

If you care to have a glimpse of what I am talking about --

I present to you the Spirit Week dance routines ... courtesy of YouTube.

I would killed these dance routines if I was still in high school ... and you know it.


Freshmen: Angry Birds



Sophomores: Toy Story -- favorite part? when they whip their hair back and forth.




Juniors: Around the World in 80 Days




Seniors: Mayan's - favorite part? The Bernie.



Juniors won, by the way ...
"juniors, juniors whats our cry?
v-i-c-t-o-r-y"

No comments: