1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II :
I solemnly swear, that I am up to no good.
It is finished.
13 years and it's done. My mother bought me the first book for Christmas when I was in 8th grade. I then borrowed books 2 and 3 from the kids across the street who I babysat for. I remember buying book 4 right before my family headed down to vacation at Universal Studios and reading in on the plane. Books 5,6, and 7 came out in college and I think I pre-ordered and picked each book up as fast as I could.
Book 7 actually came out while, then Beth Kirkham (now Liz Sheppard) was in town - and she watched the golf tournament while I sat on the couch and read. True Story.
Anyway ... all the waiting, all the watching is over. HP Part II was brilliant. It was a shorter film (running about only 2 hours) and it presented itself with as much magic, drama, information and awesomness as the last 7 films.
It picked up right where we left off ... and then jumped right into the next parts of the book. It had characters all from the past movies making cameo's around Hogwarts castle and it provided enough of the information from the book to make sense without dragging everything out.
Seeing it with one who never read the books, only has seen the movies - I was intrigued by his opinion of it all. Did it make sense? Did he realize what had just happened? What were his feelings and emotions? He was right there with us on the same page - not an easy accomplishment to satisfy both readers and non-readers with the movie rendition.
I thought it was clever, it was a bit comical, it was suspensful, t was of course dramatic ... there might have even been some tears in the theatre (not from me, but someone whose name rhymes with Shmellen) It was explained well and a great way to end the series, staying true to the story but while bringing it to life in a way that made sense.
The scene in which Harry realizes that he must die - He stops and sits for a while you know he was really thinking "Sonuva ... whaaaaaaat? I'm outta here" But of course, he mans up and does what he needs to do.
I will say - the only thing that really bothered me was at the end. They bring us into the future, 19 years later ... and goodness the costume department hadsome trouble with making Ginny a mom! They just cut her hair and threw her in some ugly shoes and "mom clothes" and shoved her in front of the camera. Seriously. But other than that, epic. Well done, WB and JK Rowling, well done.
Thanks Harry ... Mischief Managed.
2. Friday Night Lights: Whats hotter than Tim Riggins? Tim Riggins holding a baby.
A brilliant show ... ended with a brilliant episode. A 90 minute finale wrapped up the past 5 years in a way that left all its fans and followers satisfied. The way in which the show brought the story line to it's conclusion ... was simply put ... extremely well done.
I'll be honest - I can not sum up the finale any better than this article right here, so please read ... it holds my thoughts exactly. It sums up each of the character story lines and even the final (brilliant) montage at the end to bring everything full circle.
The fact that they brought back Landry ... and had J.Street's name scribbled on the locker room wall -- shows how all the smaller details matter. Jason's name was subtle and non-chalent as the camera showed the locker room...but if you saw it - you knew what it meant, knew what it represented. Just ... well done.
Click here to read the Washington Post's review: FNL: The final farewell
Here is a small excerpt from the article in case you' too busy/lazy to click on the link ... it honestly was everything that I was thinking and even the way I would word it ...so I thought, why bother to re-write:
"I loved every thing about the show’s final moments.
I loved that we never saw the completion of the play that won the East Dillon Lions its state championship.
I love the song they used in the montage, Delta Spirit’s “Devil Knows You’re Dead.”
I loved that Vince became QB for the Dillon Panthers, Coach Spivey, an African-American, became the coach of the once racially divided team, Billy Riggins got to be an assistant coach, Tinker landed on the team and Buddy Garrity was zooming around the field in a golf cart (suck on that, Joe McCoy), reminding everyone that “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.” All was right with the world on the superteam.
I loved, even though it broke my heart, that Luke Cafferty joined the service and left his championship ring in the hands of his sweetheart Becky.
I loved that Matt and Julie found their own Chicago, together.
I loved that Jess was still working toward her coaching dream, with clipboard in hand.
I loved that Jason Street’s name remained scrawled on the locker room walls at Dillon High.
I loved that Tim and Billy Riggins were building a house together even though I have zero faith that it will actually be up to code.
I loved that Eric was molding men in the home of our Founding Fathers, but not quite ready to rely on familiar catch phrases. “Clear eyes, full hearts ... we’ll deal with that later.” Perfect.
And I loved that the last shot of this fine, fine series was of Eric and Tami Taylor on a football field, partners, always. Who the hell was watching Gracie Bell? Who cares?
Out go the lights."
I will say this: I thought Tim and Tyra was good ... she was the girl from the first season -- but it was Tims love for Lyla that really made him turn that corner. I would have liked to have seen Lyla back ... but Tyra's "I have been in love with you since I was 5 years old .. and it scares the hell out of me" ... made me be okay with that ending.
so one last time ... Texas Forever.
Oh, and Tim Riggins?! I'll move to Texas and live in that house with you if Tyra doesn't.

No comments:
Post a Comment