Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My family, well, we're just a bunch of farmers...

...or are we?!

Many have heard Dad is in the process of growing some apple trees and is looking forward to his first crop so that he can make some apple cider with the press he also got.  (next question is who in my family drinks apple cider?! Just him.) He calls himself Johnny Appleseed" and has been working very hard to protect them from the frosts' of the winter and now the heat and the drought of the summer.

Dad has also been known to grow tomatoes and you can see his force field against the deer threat in our backyard.


For those of you who don't know -- my Uncle Tucker also would like to consider himself a farmer.
However; I received this email last week ...

Subject: Tucker's big tomato crop.

the candy bar is there for reference purposes only.




Brother replied with:

I grew em 4 times that big on a half shaded balcony in Manhattan. What's going on over there??

and then Tucker rebutted with:

This is hurtful.
My mother and father are ageing.....they let the bugs eat the plants.....forgot the sevin.....and they are sorry......
Yep.....threw them under the bus.....but it is a fine looking tomato......intense in flavor.
 
 
So some things to take note:
 
a) our family is cut-throat. we will throw anyone and everyone under the bus if it means it proves our point. Doesn't matter if they are 90+ years old.
 
b) If you need tomatoes this season -- you might want to go to the Farmer's Market
 
c) If you want to wait and see how the Apple crop goes -- good luck with that. I'm sure Johnny A will love to keep you posted.

[Side Bar] Remember when I told you we sang the blessing in our family sometimes?! I kid you not - this is what we sing ... coincidence? Perhaps ... but I didn't know there were more verses to this little tune ...anyway, I had to throw this in here.

No comments: