Lets start with the most popular topic of discussion: How was Miami?! (this comment is usually followed by some rude comments be jealous friends like "hey, how was Miami? you stupid normally freakishly pale girl".... well, I'm still basically pale ... but Miami was AHMAzING.
I spent from Wednesday - Monday down in Florida with one of my oldest high school friends, Kate, who is finishing up PA school in sunny Miami. I packed my carry-on with 30spf sunscreen (and by packed, I mean crammed anything and everything into my Vera bag) ... threw my brackets in my purse (more posts to come on NCAA action) and headed to the airport .... sunshine and delightfulness HERE I COME!
Wednesday we had a low-key pool afternoon followed by some sushi -- I tried to get brave and try "The Bomb" roll... and ended up having to spit it back into my napkin and try to hide it on my plate. Yes folks, I am 25 years old and I still do that. I get points for at least trying it ...
Thursday is where the real fun begins! Woke up and had my morning coffee on the porch to THIS view ... watching the boats and getting antsy to get out to the water!
Yes, this is the actual view from Kate's apartment.
Then we were off to Ft. Lauderdale and the Hard Rock Seminole Plaza to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! Lets Shamrock! We set up post at Murphy's Law Irish pub ... with lots of green and live music!!
looking down from the parking garage at the water and Hard Rock Seminole Plaza!
you cant see - but I had on green pants! and Kate just had a
sorry excuse for green ... by wearing teal.
this guy was clearly the hit of the party.
Friday, I woke up to get my brackets and update on the games we didn't watch the night before ... and out of the three I made (again, that post will come shortly) one was missing off the coffee table. I looked and looked and then turned back around to see this:
I believe the cats, Hank or Jasper, stole my bracket. and the yellow highlighter.
We never did find the other bracket ... luckily I had pictures of it since I had to email it into the Commissioner and was able to re-draw another one. Interesting creatures these cats .... that's why I don't trust them. They're sneaky.
We then packed our coolers with lunch, snacks and beverages and had another beach day ...even Elmo and the Easter Bunny were out ...
No seriously. We looked up and Elmo and the Easter Bunny were just walking down
Miami Beach ...NBD. Elmo looks pissed and not entertained at all to be posing
for photos in the 80* weather.
Then a night in South Beach for some NCAA Carolina action at The Clevelender. We took the A1A (DETROIT AVENUE) all the way down through and met up with Bryan Kingrey ... and took in some of the South Beach nightlife ... which includes a circus show?! Yes, indeed. When Bryan walked in and saw my sundress, cardigan and koozie - he goes "Hey Southern Belle ... you don't fit in at all" and it's true - you could definitely tell we were not from around there ... maybe it was the lack of 4" heels and spandex. and terrible, terrible highlights.
Dinner and a show! Dancers, fireworks, hula hoops on fire and all ....
Miss you Bryan!
For all my Vanilla Ice fans out there -- I might have shouted "A1A ... Detroit Avenue" every time I saw this sign. and by might of ... I absolutely did. People around me enjoyed that, I'm sure.
Saturday we slept in ... made some pancakes ... watched a movie to give our skin a break from the sun ... and then went out to the Blue Moon Outdoor Center at the Oleda State Park and did some kayaking out into the Oleda river and Bal Harbour bay where lots of boats were out and about, in addition to other kayaks, canoes and paddleboards. Once our arms got tired ... and our stomachs were rumbling for Italian food we were craving ... we paddled back in and took care of things!
Life jackets? Check.
Key Largo, Montego ... baby why don't we go ... down to Kokomo...
My last day in Miami .... sigh ... we got up early (well earlier than the usual 11:30am wake up) and hopped in the car down to Key Largo. The first of the upper keys ... for some snorkeling... and yes, I sang the Beach Boys song the whole drive down just because it mentions Key Largo. (so if you are keeping track... lots of Vanilla Ice and lots of Beach Boys this trip)
The boat left at 1:00pm ... due to some unforeseen circumstances ... we ended up arriving at the Sea Dwellers shop at about .. ohh, 12:55 ... we got fitted for wetsuits and fins, scribbled our names on the waivers (Uhh, you might drown or be eaten by some large sea creature ... sure whatever...sign my name) - and RAN across the way to the boat. and by RAN .. I mean, moving so fast that I zippered my leg into my wetsuit and have the bruise and mark to prove it. Open wound in the salt water? fantastic.
We made the boat -- thank goodness -- the last ones there ... but who was counting? Other than the staff and rest of the crew?! We boated out into the water and snorkeled in 2 different spots seeing LOTS of coral, some huge barracudas ... which I apparently thought if I stopped swimming and floated they wouldn't see me ...so I would just freeze up ... then I realized they're not going to actually eat me and I can keep going.
All smiles to be on the BOAT!
leaving the harbor for the open seas!
Who IS READY TO GET IN THE WATER?! THIS GIRL!!
ktm floating around ...
We saw angel fish and clown fish and other fish I don't know the name of ... a very awesome afternoon. We topped it off with some dinner, live music and Blue Moon's on the water at The Big Chill ...and then made the drive back to Sunny Isles.
I'm exhausted, refreshed, sunkissed (a little bit burnt), and itching for summer. I can not thank my host enough for EVERYTHING! KTM - I can not wait for your rotation to bring you back to Charlotte!!! xoxoxo.
Oh, and then I found Tabor's suitcase in the Miami airport.












No comments:
Post a Comment